Who We Are
Our fore bearers who once toiled here and worked their soul's salvation, had a vision from God. This vision started when they, by faith, had prayer meetings in the homes of Sisters Lena Taylor, Sally Bridgewaters, and Brothers Isaac Ferguson, Jerry Minor and William Gurely. The attendance grew too large to meet in homes so larger quarters were sought. These five persons, who were members of Lampton Baptist Church, Reverend J.M. Williams, Pastor asked for their letters of dismissal and then united with Antioch Baptist Church, Rev. G. F. Watson, Pastor. In January 1915 they held their first meeting in a rented hall call "Bell Taps". It was situated over a blacksmith shop on Jefferson between Preston and Jackson streets. The hall and blacksmith shop had once been a fire department. The people that had joined Antioch Baptist Church brought their letters from Antioch to form a mission. In December 1917 ground was broken for Bates Memorial Baptist Church located at 619 East Lampton Street. In May 1918 the cornerstone was laid.
In April 1993 the Bates Memorial Baptist Church building located at 619 E. Lampton Street burned down after undergoing $30,000 in renovations. Determined to continue services in spite of the fire, that evening worship services was held at 1228 South Jackson Street. Bates Memorial worshipped there at that address and eventually purchased the building. After the move to 620 East Lampton in May 2004, the Jackson Street location brgan to house the Bates Community Development Corporation providing multiple community services to all areas of Louisville. April 2000 the church building located at 619 East Lampton Street was renovated and is now the site of the Children's Church and many other ministries use it as a multi-purpose facility.